MN World Language Certificates and Seals

Minnesota Bilingual and Multilingual Seals & 
World Language Proficiency Certificates


What are Bilingual and Multilingual Seals and World Language Proficiency certificates?

Minnesota districts and charter schools may award Minnesota bilingual and multilingual seals to high school graduates who demonstrate the required levels of language proficiency for languages other than English, including American Sign Language (ASL) and American Indian (indigenous) languages in grades 10, 11, 12 regardless of how the language was learned. Bilingual and multilingual seals are awarded upon graduation. World language proficiency certificates can be awarded when students meet proficiency requirements. Read details of the legislation. (

How do I receive college credit?

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) will award college semester credit to graduating high school students who receive bilingual and multilingual seals and world language proficiency certificates. Students must request the college semester credit within three academic years of graduation from high school and upon enrollment in a MnSCU college or university.

How many semester credits will Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) award?

The chart below shows the number of college semesters for each award.

Certificates, Seals

ACTFL Proficiency Level


World language proficiency certificate


2 semesters

Gold bilingual or multilingual seal


3 semesters per language

Platinum bilingual or multilingual seal


4 semesters per language

What are the requirements for a
bilingual or multilingual seal?

In addition to demonstrating the required proficiency levels in a language other than English on an assessment based on the America Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), students must:

  • Demonstrate English proficiency
  • Meet English Language Arts standards


What assessments can be used to assess students’ language proficiency levels?

Proficiency assessments must be based on the ACTFL guidelines. A list of assessments can be found on the MDE World Language web page. (


Who do I contact if I am interested in obtaining a bilingual or multilingual seal?

            Students may contact the following people:

  • High School Counselor
  • Office of Curriculum & Instruction (507.328.4301)
  • Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (507.328.4276)

Office of Elementary and Secondary Education | 615 7th St. SW  Rochester, MN 55902 | 507.328.4276


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.

Rochester Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, or disability.