Rochester Public Schools
Rochester Public Schools is located in Rochester, a city of over 100,000 residents in southeastern Minnesota. The city’s sustained growth has been supported by the ongoing expansions of Mayo Clinic, IBM, and many other high-tech and supporting businesses.
Rochester Public Schools has the seventh largest enrollment in Minnesota. The district covers a large part of Olmsted County and extends into Wabasha County.
The district’s pre-kindergarten through grade 12 program serves approximately 16,400 students in 16 elementary schools, four middle schools, and three comprehensive high schools. The district also offers various alternative schools and five choice programs.
Rochester Public Schools' educational program is designed to reach all students, including those with special needs. The three strategic aims of the district are high student achievement, a safe and welcoming learning environment, and efficient and effective operations. All school goals must support these aims and every school is expected to have an improvement plan. As a result, student-achievement levels are consistently above state and national averages, with 85-90 percent of graduating seniors pursuing post-high school education.
DISTRICT FACTS: 2013 - 2014 (Updated October 2013)
*2012-2013 MARS Report
- Enrollment – 16,889
- Size of District - 218 square miles
- Governance Board - 7-member elected
- Elementary Schools - 16
- Middle Schools - 4
- High Schools - 3
- Alternative High School - 1
- Administrators - 65
- Teachers – 1,365
- Support Staff – 1,054
- Annual General Fund Budget - $178,806,059
- Yearly Per-Student Spending - $10,587
- Minority Enrollment – 34.5%
- Low Income (Eligible for Free or Reduced-Priced Meals) – 36.4%*
- ESOL (English Speakers of Other Languages) - 12%
- Special Education - 14%**
**December 1, 2012 Child Count
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the first day of school in 2012? - The first day of school for students is September 4, 2012. To see the calendar for the 2012-2013 school year, select this link.
- How do I enroll my child in Rochester Public Schools? - New families should visit the Registration and Records Office at the Edison Building, 615 SW 7th Street.
- How do I contact my child’s school? - For the phone number, fax number, e-mail address and mailing address of your child’s school, please visit the school’s web page that is a part of the Rochester Public Schools’ main web site.
- Who are the members of the School Board and how do I contact them? - School board members are available by phone, e-mail and at School Board meetings. The current members of the School Board are:
- Gary Smith, Chair – , (507) 289-5076
- Anne Becker, Vice Chair – , (507) 287-0348
- Terry Throndson, Clerk – , (507) 282-2519
- Dan O’Neil, Treasurer – , (507) 398-8887
- Richard Hinds, Director - , (507) 990-5309
- Deborah Seelinger, Director - , (507) 252-5398
- Julie Workman, Director – , (507) 285-9707
- When and where are the school board meetings? - School Board meetings are held in the Board Room at the Edison Building on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Most meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. There are a few exceptions, however. Please click here for the complete list.
- How do I apply for a job with Rochester Public Schools? - Jobs are posted on the district website under Employment Opportunities or by visiting the HR department web page.